The Fort Wayne Housing Authority provides affordable housing programs to almost 4,000 families in Fort Wayne, Indiana, through the Housing Choice Voucher and other rental housing programs.
In 1937, the Indiana General Assembly adopted enabling legislation giving local government authority to participate in federal low-rent housing programs. Subsequently, on the 8th day of February 1938, the Common Council of the City of Fort Wayne, Indiana, passed a resolution creating the Housing Authority of the City of Fort Wayne, Indiana.
The first Board of Commissioners appointed to serve were William B.F. Hall (Chairperson), David Lewis, Ernest C. Gallmeier, Edward W. Meyers and Albert H. Schaaf.
The first organizational meeting of the Commissioners of the FWHA was held at Fort Wayne City Hall on the 24th of February 1938. In the same year, WPA workers constructed the first FWHA prefabricated three-room house which rented for $2.50 a week. On opening day, 3,000 persons lined up to visit this model home. Forty-four more such houses were constructed later that year on vacant city lots that were purchased by the Authority for $1.00.